Living in a healthy environment is what many people would opt for but, observing hygiene is quite challenging and many others have failed to achieve it. Other than contacting diseases that are caused as a result of poor hygiene, one can also get lice. Well, lice can also be obtained through sharing personal items such as clothes and combs. Some people contradict everything and say that lice are not caused by poor hygiene. The secret behind to get rid of lice is finding the best way possible to suffocate them. Find out more about home remedies for lice without spending much cash of money as this article mainly focuses on the home remedies for lice:
- First it’s vital to understand what are lice and what do they want in human beings. Well, these are parasites and depend on human blood. They have millions and millions of invisible eggs that make them survive even more because when the adult lice are killed, the eggs will not die so when they are exposed, they give rise to young ones and the cycles continue. This is why an individual should be keen while handling lice.
- All home remedies work on the same principle, ‘suffocation, and all in all, they work best when the hair is combed. As a matter of fact, one should comb the hair taking smaller portions and brushing the scalp. This action can be facilitated by using tea tree oil, apply it on the scalp and this will make the lice stick on the comb. Moreover, this oil has antiseptic properties that would probably suffocate the lice and kill them. It is vital that there are also other oils that will assist in getting rid of lice, they include: cinnamon, clove, peppermint, neem, lavender and nutmeg oil to mention but a few. The procedure for using these oils is the same for all of them; just check the most suitable for the type of skin. Note; some skin types do react with some oil:
- Make a mixture of the chosen oil and essential oil
- Using a cotton ball, apply the mixture on the scalp.
- Give time for reaction (12 hours)
- Then wash the scalp using shampoo or an appropriate soap
- Rinse with clean water
Did you know that salt can also be used to get rid of lice? Well, this is one of the most available commodities at home hence an individual won’t spend a lot just to use it. Salt has worked perfectly well by desiccating the lice. This is the simple procedure that must follow when using salt
- Mix equal amounts of salt and vinegar, e.g. a quarter full cup of salt and vinegar
- Rub or spray the scalp using the solution, wear a shower cap and leave it for twelve hours
- Clean the scalp using soap and hair conditioner.
- Repeat the procedure for a period of two to three weeks for best results
Another way of eradicating lice is through using garlic due to its strong fragrance. It works best when it is mixed with lime juice. The procedure is as simple as:
- Grind ten cloves of garlic
- Mix with 100ml of lime juice
- Spray or apply the mixture on the scalp and leave it for an hour for the reaction to take place
- Rinse the scalp using a mild soap and warm water.
- Apply the mixture on a daily basis for a period of one month for best results.
This one will surprise you; petroleum jelly has also been used successfully as one of the best home remedies for lice. This is mainly because it stifles active lice. This is the right procedure to consider while using petroleum jelly:
- The scalp should be covered in a thick layer of petroleum jelly.
- Cover the head using a clean piece of cloth while going to bed.
- When morning comes, remove the stifled lice by combing the hair thoroughly.
Most people would say that home remedies are not the best for eradicating lice, well, one secret behind it is patience. These remedies need time and should not be skipped in any way. This will help to suffocate the lice more and even kill their eggs. Moreover, it is vital to observe cleanliness. Wash the children using warm water and appropriate soap especially after they have come from school or from play and change their clothes. Moreover, the clothes should be laundered properly using best detergents. Even though many people would say that lice do not spread as a result of lack of hygiene, one can get them from sharing combs and head scurf, which should be avoided at all cost.
Home remedies for lice treatment
Many people will feel embarrassed whenever they realize lice on their head. They would panic and even worsen the situation. Well, this is not a big deal; the biggest deal is how to treat the lice. This is why is always important to beware of such cases and always check your hair or the children’s using a nit comb. Well, according to most doctors, they will recommend over the counter medication such as pediculicides which should be applied on the hair when it is dry, left for some time then rinse the hair using shampoo and clean water. Well, according to other experts, treatment should start from home and not from an individual. For instance, the beddings and under the bed should be sprayed using an insecticide that not only kill the adult lice but also the eggs. After which, the individuals should now consider taking over the counter medication.
For some families, they will rash into treated only the infected individuals. Well, this is not advisable as every member of the family should be checked if at all others have lice then all of them should be treated. This is to prevent spreading of lice from one individual to another by treating one and leaving others. After treatment, it is important to inform close friends about lice so that they can also check for them. Failure to do this, then treating only yours will be useless.