How to Get Rid of Yellow Nails? There are various reasons resulting into yellow nails. The most common of them is a fungal infection. Other reasons include your nail polish habits, stomach or lungs diseases or yellow nail syndrome. There are remedies and treatments for every problem stated above. If you have yellow nails you need not worry as long as you are willing to help yourself. Stop buffing your nails to remove the yellowish color because all it does is that it removes the upper yellow layer from your nail just to clear it for the next yellow layer. It weakens your nails and also it is a temporary solution. Well, you will see a few commodious and permanent solutions to the aforementioned problem in the article. The tips that I am about to share encompass all the reasons that cause colored nails and these tips effectively deal with all of them.
How to Get Rid of Yellow Nails
Let us start with the simplest home based remedies to solve the problem.
1. Lemon Juice
Citrus fruit can lighten your nail beds, lemon is one of them. You can use lemon with olive oil effectively to remove the yellowish color of your nails. It is an effective solution if the cause of yellow nails is your nail polish habit and not the fungal infection. Here is how you can use lemon with olive oil to remove yellow stains.
- Pour a few drops on your nails and let it set for a few minutes.
- Buff your nails with a dry piece of cloth.
- Here is when you can use olive oil to add a bit more moisture, drop a few drops on your nail and rub your nails with the piece of cloth.
2. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen Peroxide is a very useful solution to get rid of yellow nails, it is easily available on medical stores. In case you don’t want to go outside to buy it, you can use your hair bleach it has enough amount of hydrogen peroxide.
- Add one part hydrogen peroxide and three parts water.
- Soak your nails for 10 minutes in the solution
- Clear your nails using toothbrush or something like this
You are good to go.
3. Lavender Oil
If your nails are yellow because of fungal infection, essential oils such as lavender oil or tea tree oil may be of little help. Since infection never heals at once, you need to give it some time and little effort. Apply a few drops of lavender or tea tree oil to your nails using any eye dropper or something like this. Do this until you get rid of yellow nails.
the good thing about essential oils is that they don’t come with any side effects rather using lavender oil will have an extra advantage of aromatherapy for your nails.
4. Baking Soda
Using baking soda to get rid of yellow nails is another home based remedy that is very useful. Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with one and a half teaspoon of olive oil, now add a few drops of lemon juice to make a thick paste. Apply this paste on your nails for at least 10 minutes. Rinse it with warm water. Repeat the process every three days until you see the difference.
5. Whitening Toothpaste
It is one easy home based remedy that you can use, and yes! It works. Of your toothpaste can whiten your teeth it can also whiten your nails. Here is how you can use your toothpaste to remove yellow stains from your nails.
- Apply toothpaste on your nails for 10 minutes
- Use a nail brush to scrub your nails
- Use lukewarm water to effectively remove the paste
- Repeat the process twice or thrice in a week for a month
6. Denture Cleaning Tablets
Denture cleaning tablets are easily available in the nearest medical stores around you. They are strikingly effective to remove yellow stains from nails. You just need to know the correct way of using these tablets. Here is how you can use them to perfection
- Make a solution of three denture cleaning tablets in warm water
- Apply the solution to your nails for at least fifteen minutes
- Use a soft nail brush or warm water to remove the solution from your nails
- Using olive oil in the end will enhance your chances of getting rid of yellowish nails quickly
- Repeat the process thrice a week for at least a month
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar contains malic acid and acetic acid. They are valuable not only in removing yellow stains but also in curing the fungal infection. So, it is a priority solution for you if your nail are yellowish due to fungal infection. Follow these simple steps.
- Mix 2 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar in warm water
- Soak your nails in the solution for ten to twenty minutes
- Use dry cloth or soft nail brush to remove the solution
- Rinse with lukewarm water in the end
- Repeat the process two to three times every week until a month or until the problem is solved
- Using tea tree oil in the end will help strengthen the nails, it will also help in better and healthy growth of your nails
8. Vitamin C/Orange Peel
Vitamin C is commodious in removing yellow stains from the nails. Orange peel happens to have a lot of vitamin C.
There are two ways you can use an orange peel to serve your cause. Here is how you can use it.
- Rub fresh orange peels on your nails two to three times daily. Repeat the process until you get rid of the yellow stains. It is the easiest way of dealing with the problem.
- Another way of using orange peel is to dry it and then make its paste in lukewarm water, just as we did with some of the other solutions. Apply the paste on your nails and leave it as it is for ten to twenty minutes. Rinse your nails with warm water. You can use soft nail brush while rinsing with water.
The good thing about using home based remedies that include natural herbs of fruits such as orange peel and many other tips that we discussed above is that it lacks side effects. There may be many solutions available in the market to remove yellow stains spontaneously but remember one thing, easy come easy go. Commercial based remedies often come with a price, that price is mostly more than a few bucks. So why not use the home based trustworthy tips instead of taking a risk. The worst that may happen is that you will not see the results as quickly as you had expected. I guess this is a better deal rather than having a side effect.
Let us see a few more of these tips.
9. The Juniper Berries
Juniper Berries are natural disinfectants, they are instrumental in removing yellowish color from your nails cause by a fungal infection. Follow these simple steps to benefit from this natural disinfectant.
- Crush juniper berries and mix it with lukewarm water to make a thick paste
- Soak your nails into the paste
- Leave your nails in the paste for a minimum of ten minutes
- Now rinse your nails with warm water
- Apply olive oil or tea tree oil to strengthen your nails. Because, the stronger your nails are the quickly they heal.
- Repeat the process once daily
- Repeat it until you get rid of yellow stains, it usually takes about two to three weeks.
Well, you would probably be thinking that you would not have been reading this article if you had taken care of your nails a little before. I suggest that it is never too late and that whether or not you are a victim you should follow the following precious tips to help prevent your nails from getting any infection. Most of the time you get this infection from the air or by getting in contact with the person having this kind of infection. Just follow the enlisted safety and preventive measures to ensure nail health.
- Use a strong base before applying nail polish. Also, try using trustworthy brands of nail polishes or nail polish removers. As these are the two most commonly used commodity for the teeth, if you ever get infected that may be because of these two things.
- Avoid buffing as it will weaken your nails. Weaker nails are an attractive prey.
- Soak your nails in any essential oil such as lavender oil or tea tree oil at least once every two weeks. They will strengthen your nails.
- This may sound a little weird, but drinking milk is essentially good for your nails. Besides all the advantages that milk carries, this is one of them. Drink a little amount of milk every day to reduce the probability of getting your nails yellowish.
In some cases the nails may be yellow because of a severe medical condition, it is recommended that if there are other symptoms of sickness along with yellow nails, get medical attention immediately. In all other cases, the aforementioned home based remedies will do great.